MON: Why You Might Be Vitamin D Deficient

**P360 Ocean Beach First 50 Initiative — Enrollment Now Open**

We all know that Vitamin D is important, but a recent study from the Journal of Preventative Medicine and Public Health concluded that we’ve been underestimating just how important it is when it comes to preventing all-cause mortality, diabetes, and improving the immune system, and subsequently, underdosing.

With this information, it stands to reason that most of us are woefully Vitamin D deficient and need to proactively seek ways to get more of it.

Here’s three ways to get more Vitamin D in your day.

    • Sunlight. Spend ten to twenty minutes everyday in direct sunlight, no sunscreen. We synthesize Vitamin D from our blood cholesterol when exposed to the sun’s rays. (There is evidence that this helps prevent skin cancer.)
    • Fish. Incorporate wild, fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, and sardines.
    • Nix Gluten. Consider gluten removal. If you consume a lot of gluten, you may have issues absorbing Vitamin D since it’s a fat soluble vitamin and damaged guts cannot properly absorb dietary fats. Depending on your dietary religion, you may want to consider cutting gluten from your diet if you want to absorb more Vitamin D.

The study recommends that 80% of our Vitamin D intake come from sunlight with the other 20% coming from supplementation. The sun will be by far and away your best source of Vitamin D, so make an effort to spend a few minutes, even if it’s first thing in the morning.

Get out in the sun a bit, consider removing gluten, and consume wild caught fatty fish.

-Dave


Monday, 3.19.18

First, For Strength
5 Front Squats @60-80%
8/s DB Leaning Row
Complete 1 set every 4′ for 20′

Then, for Conditioning.
w/ a partner
A: 5 HPC + 3/s Reverse Lunge + 5 BB Push ups +100m Run
B: Rest
(x15′)

(Visited 72 times, 1 visits today)