It’s back! Another kick ass recipe for which to fill that belly! These spicy Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potato Skins from Half Baked Harvest are an awesome twist on the junky and tired starchy potato skins. Rather than leave you feeling full and sluggish like the greasy, cheesy, trans fatty restaurant potato skins, these will leave you energized and on track with your weight loss goals. With all this goodness you’ll never look at a potato skin again!!
These can be used as main course for a meal or you can make them as a side dish or even an appetizer for a party. I like to make them so that I have leftovers on hand to heat up really quick when I’m on the go and need something that is quick and still very healthy and filling.
These are also excellent as a post workout meal.
The cook time take a little bit longer then some other recipes but it’s WELL worth it!
- Prep time: about 20 mins
- Cook time: 1hour 15mins
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 small boneless skinless free range chicken breasts (cooked)
- 1/4 cups olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 3 whole jalapeno peppers chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 big cups spinach
- 1-2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- chopped cilantro, greek yogurt and avocado for garish and topping
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. While it’s heating wash and prick the raw sweet potatoes with a fork all over.
- Place them in a baking dish and bake for about 50 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are now cooking, put your chicken, rubbed with some oil, salt and pepper, in a separate baking dish and bake at the same time for about 25 minutes.
- Once the chicken is done, remove it and shred. Set the pile of shredded chicken off to the side.
- When sweet potatoes are done , remove them and cut them in half. Then, let cool for about 5 minutes. You want them to be easy to handle so let them cool as long as they need to.
- In a separate bowl mix oil, lime juice, garlic, jalapenos, oregano, cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper.
- Heat a small skillet and wilt down the spinach, add shredded chicken and set aside. This cooking process should only take a couple of quick minutes. Note, if you don’t want to add the spinach you can skip this process.
- Finally, turn up the oven to 400, scrape most of the sweet potato filling out, but leaving enough so it will hold up. You should save insides for another time or for smashed sweet potatoes.
- Brush skins with the chipotle mixture you just mixed in the bowl and bake for 5-10 minutes.
- While skins bake, mix the rest of the chipotle mix, chicken and spinach all together until it creates a consistent topping.
- Remove the skins from the oven and stuff those bad boys full of the chicken mixture, top with a little bit of cheese and bake for 10 minutes till cheese is melted and skins are hot!
- Top with cilantro, avocado and greek yogurt and ENJOY!!!
So, as you guys can see there are a few steps but once you get going it’s super easy and the end result is amazing. Guaranteed!
Ashley Randall is the resident nutrition coach at Performance360. She is a graduate of San Diego State University, a certified personal trainer, and has competed in both women’s boxing and football leagues. She has been helping others with training and diet for the last seven years.
She coaches Daily Challenges and Outdoor Challenges Monday through Saturday and is available for nutrition advice both before and after class, as well via email at firstname.lastname@example.org